Downloading and Installing Time Matters on the Network Server
We offer a Just in Time Training Tutorial Video on Installing Time Matters Version 11. To begin the video, go to the site, log in, and register for the class. A link to the Just In Time Training Tutorial topic will be listed on your My Courses page in LexisNexis University.
Visit the LexisNexis® University What's New page for information about AMP Anytime Training (Annual Maintenance Plan). Customers with a current Annual Maintenance Plan (AMP) have unlimited free access to the Anytime Training for the length of their subscription.
A multi-user database installation of the Time Matters® software typically consists of the following components:
- A server computer running Microsoft SQL Server that stores the Time Matters database. The other computers in your office share this database.
- Workstation computers that run the Time Matters software and connect across your network to the SQL database on the server computer.
- Laptop computers that run the Time Matters software with remote databases that you periodically synchronize with the primary database.
Take the following steps to install the Time Matters software and primary database on your server computer:
- Completing the Pre-Installation and Upgrade Checklist
- Downloading the Setup File
- Installing the Application on the Server
- Creating the Primary Database on Your Server
- Completing the Post-Installation and Upgrade Checklist
If you want to install Microsoft SQL Server to a different drive letter you need to install SQL on the server before you install Time Matters.
Completing the Pre-Installation and Upgrade Checklist
The complex nature of the Time Matters software requires that you prepare your computers and network for the installation or upgrade. Failure to take these steps may result in poor performance, missing data, or failed integration with third-party products.
- Complete the pre-installation and upgrade checklist
Take the following steps to download the Time Matters software on the server:
- Open the LexisNexis Product Keys email on your server computer.
- Click Download on the Product Purchases section of your LexisNexis Product Keys email to open the Time Matters download page.
- Click Download and Installation Instructions.
- Click New installation if you want to install the Time Matters software for the first time or click Upgrade installation if want to upgrade from a previous version to open the Welcome page.
NOTE: The setup file is the same for new users and for those upgrading. Different steps are required to prepare for a new installation and an upgrade installation.
- Click Download at the bottom of the page to open the File Download - Security Warning window.
- Click Save to open the Save As window.
- Go to the location where you want to save the file.
- Click Save to start the download.
Take the following steps to install the Time Matters software on the server:
- Close all open applications on the server computer.
- Double-click Setupe.exe to open the Welcome window and begin the installation.
NOTE: If you do not have the .NET 4.0 Framework installed on your computer, the Time Matters software installs it at this point. This may take several minutes to complete, during which time the installation does not proceed. You may have to restart your computer after the .NET 4.0 Framework installation. The Time Matters installation automatically picks up where it left off after your computer restarts.
- Copy the product key from the LexisNexis Product Keys email and click Paste Key in the Product Key: field of the Welcome window.
- Click Next to open the LexisNexis Time Matters 11.0 Software Agreement window.
- Select I accept the terms in the software agreement to accept the agreement.
- Click Next to open the Time Matters Installation Type window.
- Select Complete on the Time Matters Installation Type window.
NOTE: Select Custom if you want to change where the program installs or what program links install.
- Verify the installation settings.
- Click Install to begin the installation and open the Installing LexisNexis® Time Matters 11.0 window.
- Click Next on the Application Installation Complete window to open the Time Matters Database Creation Wizard window.
The Time Matters 11 software installation includes an Express Edition of Microsoft SQL Server 2005. This edition supports a database of 4GB maximum. If your firm requires a larger database (more than 4GB), contact Microsoft to purchase a full version of the Microsoft SQL Server database software or download the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express Edition that has a 10 GB limit. Your documents and email attachments are not stored in the SQL database and do not count toward the 4GB limit.
Take the following steps to create the primary SQL database from the Time Matters Database Creation Wizard window:
- Select Create a new database for Time Matters 11.0 in the Create New or Connect to Existing Database window.
- Click Next to open the Assistance Required? window.
- Select No.
NOTE: Select Yes if you need help to determine if you should store the database on this computer.
- Click Next to open the Specify Shared Files Directory window.
- Enter the path to the network location where you want to store your shared files.
NOTE: If you are upgrading and use a different path for your shared files than you did in the previous version, you must copy all files from your previous files folder to this location. All computers that run the Time Matters software must have access to the location you enter.
- Click Next to open the Your Data Storage Location window.
- Select one of the following options:
- Use an existing server - Select this option if you already have a supported copy of Microsoft SQL Server installed. We do not recommend this option unless you have purchased a full copy of Microsoft SQL.
- Install SQL Server 2005 Express Edition - Select this option if you want to install a new instance, or copy, of Microsoft SQL Server
NOTE: If you want to install SQL Server 2005 Express to a drive letter other than C:, cancel the installation and follow the instructions for installing SQL Express on a different drive letter.
- Click Next to open the Specify Location to Store Your Data window.
- Click to highlight the SQL Server you want to use.
NOTE: Click Advanced to specify a SQL server not on the list.
- Click Next to open the Server Login Information window.
- Enter the SQL Server administrator account in the SQL Admin Login field.
- Enter the SQL Server administrator password in the SQL Admin Password field.
NOTE: These populate automatically if you selected Install SQL Server 2005 Express Edition as your data storage location in step 17. Copy this information and store it in a safe location.
- Click Next to open the Ready to Install window.
- Verify that the settings are correct.
- Click Print to print a copy of these settings for your records.
- Click Advanced to open the Advanced SQL Database Properties window to set additional SQL Database Properties.
- Click Install to start the database creation.
NOTE: If you selected Install SQL Server 2005 Express Edition as your data storage location in step 17, the Time Matters installation installs it now. If you want to install SQL Server 2005 Express to a drive letter other than C:, cancel the installation and follow the instructions to install SQL Express on a different drive letter.
- Select one of the following options on the SQL Database Installation & Configuration Complete window:
- Yes - Select this option if you are responsible for the initial configuration
- No - Select this option if you are not responsible for the initial configuration
- Click Next to open the Initial Data Entry window.
- Record the path listed for the Shared Files Directory to use for the workstation installations.
- Click Print to print a copy of the settings for your records.
- Click to the check the Start Time Matters box to open the Time Matters software after the installation.
- Click to check the Open the Installation Guide box to open the Installation Guide after the installation.
- Click Finish to exit the installer and open the Welcome window to register the Time Matters software.
NOTE: If you did not check the Start Time Matters box, the Welcome window opens the first time you open the Time Matters software.
- Click Next to register your software and open the Welcome window.
- Click Finish to close the Welcome window.
NOTE: If the Time Matters software detects a previous version, it prompts you to import your existing database.
Completing the Post-Installation and Upgrade Checklist
The complex nature of the Time Matters software requires that you make some changes to the configuration of your computers and network after the installation or upgrade. Failure to take these steps may result in poor performance, missing data, or failed integration with third-party products.